Sunday 21 February 2010

What will you be listening to this spring/summer?

Spring is on its way, well I say that, yet, there is still snow outside, which means that a musical change is on it's way. I listen to completley different music in summer than I do to winter, do you?

Here's what I shall be listening to during the warmer weather, when the sun is actually out:

1. Vampire Weekend: They've recently released their second album 'Contra' and it's brilliant! Their next single is 'Giving up the gun', my personal favourite from the album. Contra is filled with exotic beats and riffs that will keep you happy all day.

2. The Drums- having recently finished touring on the NME Tour, they'll surely release their debut at some point this summer I'd imagine and I'm pretty sure that they'll be playing lots of summer festivals as well their upcoming UK tour with Florence and the Machine

3. Babeshadow- this band also will be supporting Florence on her UK tour this summer as they've just signed up to her manager, Mairead Nash's, new label, Luv Luv Luv records. I find it fascinating that they are english as their music is so relaxed and uplifting, it makes me wonder where the influences to their music came from. The lyrics "It's love, love, love, now it's only love" (from their song 'Sea Serpents') fit in nicely with Luv management and given Nash's previous success with Florence, this band should go pretty far. Listen to their music on hypemachine

4.LCD Soundsystem- Their back, they've kept relatively quiet about their new stuff but they're heading on tour in March so I'm sure they'll be showcasing their new material there! They're also booked for lots of UK festivals, including Bestival, they're definately not a band you should miss this year as I would think that their gigs are pretty much a party. Their album's expected in March.

5.Lightspeed Champion- Dev Hynes is back with his new album 'Life is Sweet Nice to Meet you' which came out last week, I can't afford to buy it so I'm getting it for my birthday next month, hopefully on vinyl as I'm getting a new vinyl player :) Apparenly, this album is more experimental as the last and I'm very much looking forward to hearing it! He's just announced a tour of small venues- so get in there quick! I really want to go but I'm trying to save up, the train to Birmingham costs me £6!

6.MGMT- Congratulations- Their new album is expected for release on the 13th March, that's not far off! I'm quite anxious about this album as they've changed their physical imagine to a more toned down, indie rock look, will their music follow suit? I hope not! We'll see! Oracular Spectacular (2008) is a summer album that's pretty hard to beat!

7.Arcade fire- I've heard their new album is coming out this spring/summer, I've not heard much else about it though! I hope it comes soon, they're so musically and lyrically talented, how can it not be good? And I hope they play some festivals! Especially Reading, as I shall be going!

Photobucket


Katie x

No comments: