Monday 23 February 2009

Emmy the Great

I saw her last night and she was really amazing :) She signed my copy of the album too and she nearly stole my pen


The venue was far from full but fuller than I expected seen as it was a sunday night and Stoke is like 10 years behind everyone else so I didn't think that anyone would know Emmy the Great but there was an alright crowd, which was nice :)
First on was some fella called M.S. Thomasson, he was ok, he got better as the set went on, it was meant to be Exlovers on first but they were off supporting Pete Doherty in London which was a shame cos I'd have loved to have seen them again (I saw them support pete and the pirates), they're really good.
Second were Young Husband who were actually really good and performed with Emmy during her set, I bought their EP at the end, 'The Judas Cow', I like it, their music is quite uplifting. During their set Emmy and her keyboard guy held paper plates up from the balcony which said 'emo' and stuff on, it's was rather amusing, some kind of private joke I'm guessing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Emmy came on stage to lots of cheers and her set went something like this:

We almost had a baby
Dylan
Easter Parade
Gabriel (she caught me singing along and smiled at me, it was quite embarrasing)
First Love (I love this song a lot!)
War
Museum Island (A place in Berlin apparently)
Short Country Song (although on the set list it is abbreviated to 'short cunt' which makes me giggle)
End of the world
MIA
Lost in Austin (about getting lost at SXSW)
Absentee
We are safe (one of my favourites off the album)
Everything reminds me of you (She dedicated it to Exlovers because they weren't there)

And then when Emmy came back on stage to get her plectrum (is that even how you spell it? I really should know seen as I play guitar :S ) people thought that she was going back on stage to perform more songs so they started clapping and cheering and she was like "ermmmmmmmmm....I only came back to get my plectrum" and this crazy man behind me demanded she played more songs. She then asked whether there were any requests and everyone requested 'Canopies and grapes', one of my personal favourites which I was pretty happy about, so she ended with that :)

I'm sorry about the briefness of this (I'm tired and have french and spanish revision to do) but I think I've covered everything, this blog also probably sounds like a 2 year old has written it and is swarming with grammatical errors but have mercy on me, I've just done my Mock AS english exam!


Anyway, here are some pictures and videos: and haha my phone makes a beeping noise when it records a video and Emmy heard it and was like "What's that beeping noise?" and her guitarist just pointed right at me and said "it was her" which was yet another embarrassing moment :S I had to record them too cos I told my friend Lizzie I would because she couldn't go!

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Hypnotists son (wait a minute, this wasn't in the setlist! I can't remember when she did this, I think it might have been near the end. oh yh and sorry about the water mark, I used a free trial version thing to edit the video)



Dylan (the zooms a bit dodgey at the beginning sorry :S )




Canopies and Grapes (I apologise for my terrible background singing, I'd just drunk a can of beer and ate a bag of haribo horror mix which were actually months old, they were really hard :S not that that matters )



bisous,

Katie
xxxxx

No comments: