Tuesday 8 June 2010

The Drums- The Drums

The Drums have received some very harsh criticism, which was probably produced due to the large amount of hype that surrounded them in late 2009 - early 2010. There is far too much focus on people questioning whether this hype is justifiable. For me, the truth seems to be that The Drums are a great band, they're a band which I could genuinely listen to at any time of the day, as was tested out the other day by my friend's boyfriend who decided to play 'Forever and Ever Amen' really loudly at about half past 6 in the morning the other day, just half an hour after I'd nodded off to sleep (it was a very long and heavy night) and I actually didn't mind, in fact, I enjoyed it!

The Drums were definitely worth getting excited about. The long awaited album finally dropped this week and it's brilliant. Some people say that they try too hard to be cool and 'hipster' but I couldn't disagree more. The album is bursting with heart felt lyrics and simple riffs. In this album we are given a deeper incite into the life of the lead singer, Jonathon Pierce, than you would have ever imagined from a band that have a song about surfing. The way that he intertwines sorrowful lyrics with bright, repetitive hooks and lightly distorted guitar is phenomenal, something which I don't think has been done really to such an extent since The Smiths. The Drums clearly have far more depth and troubles to them than we first thought when 'Let's Go Surfing' and 'I feel Stupid' were thrust into our faces by every radio DJ on the airwaves. What's more is there's nothing wrong with the irony used in their lyrics, it works well for them and adds strength, it's surely a positive thing. Occasionally, the repetition can get slightly irritating, for example, in the song 'I need fun in my Life', but most of the time their use of repetition compliments their chilled out scuzzy, indie pop style and adds commercial potential. Having seen them live too, I also know how well it all translates on stage. This album is filled with songs that can't help but make you joyful, yet their frequent sinister lyrics mean than their music, thankfully, lacks cheese and you can enjoy it guilt free. This album could well be the soundtrack to your Summer 2010 and you should certainly try and see them live at a festival this summer.

9/10


Photobucket






Katie x

No comments: